Authentic Italian chocolate gelato is made with egg yolks and both cocoa powder and melted dark chocolate. Thanks to its creamy consistency and strong taste, this delicious recipe lends itself to many add-ins and, with a little imagination, can become a new gelato every time you want to eat something different!
3 medium (54 g) egg yolks
3/4 cup (150 g) granulated sugar
1 cup (244 g) whole milk
1 cup (240 g) heavy cream
Scant 1/2 cup (50 g) cocoa powder
2/3 cup (100 g) 70% your favorite dark chocolate, chopped fine (my favorite is semi-sweet Callebaut couverture callets, YUM)
1. To prepare the mixture for the chocolate gelato recipe, start by mixing the cocoa and half the sugar in a bowl. transfer to a saucepan then add the cold milk. Whisk and place on the heat.
2. Continue to whisk for five minutes over very low heat. The milk must NOT boil. Chop the chocolate and add it. Let it melt completely, continuing to mix. Again, do not let it boil.
3. Meanwhile, whip the egg yolks with half of the remaining sugar, until you get a fluffy and soft cream.
4. Add the milk-chocolate mixture to the egg cream. Transfer to a saucepan, and stir for five minutes over low heat. The mixture must reach no more than 185° F. In this way the eggs are pasteurized. It’s ready when it thickens up.
5. Remove from the heat and add the cold heavy cream. Stir to mix all the ingredients. Add your “add ins” after it has cooled in the fridge for half an hour (see below).
WITH Ice Cream Maker:
Time: One hour (30 minutes in the refrigerator + about 30-40 min in ice cream maker)
Follow the above steps, from 1 to 5, then pour the chocolate mixture into the ice cream maker. Start up the machine following the manufacturer’s instructions. It usually takes 30-40 minutes.
WITHOUT Ice Cream Maker:
Time: 5-1/2 hours (30 minutes in the refrigerator + 5 hours freezer time (stirring every half hour)Follow the above steps, from 1 to 5, then pour the chocolate mixture into a gelato container and place it in the refrigerator. Let it cool for about 1/2 an hour.
Transfer to the freezer and leave it for about 5 hours. Every 30 minutes, break the frozen surface using a hand whisk or an electric whisk on low speed for 30 seconds.
This step is necessary in order not to create ice crystals in the gelato and have a creamy result. This is a more labor-intensive process, but it’s well worth it.
Chopped chocolate bar of your choice
Here’s a great article on things to know before adding your chunks.
It’s best to eat gelato right away. If you leave it in the freezer for too long, crunchy ice crystals form and your gelato is no longer so good. So eat your homemade chocolate gelato immediately or keep it in the freezer and eat it within two days.
TIP: if your gelato it’s too hard and frozen, let it thaw in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Adapted from a recipe in Recipes From Italy